hopeless

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 18:46:29 -0500

>...if you were only to tune, say 500 pianos
>per year at $100 ea., were still talkin' 50 Thousand bucks..and that doesn't
>include extras like Pitch raising, repairs etc. So out of 3,211 clients, he
>should have no trouble getting 500 active, regular tunings per year.
>> >Terry Peterson

I couldn't agree more, Terry.  On the surface it would seem readily
apparent this would be an easy thing to accomplish based on simple
mathematics alone.  But even with the numbers I posted, regular tunings
suprisingly are not the major part of the economic equation in the area I
service.

A university, some churches, and a few customers at the most constitute
regular tunings every year.  However, the majority of the dBase numbers I
mentioned aren't.

The regular tunings per year I do usually cover the four quarterly tax
payments at the most.  Without going into actual specifics, the majority of
income I derive is from the infrequently tuned accounts, new business, and
the occasional sales of a few used pianos that I purchase from time to time.

I'm certain if a person were very aggressive in building a regular, yearly,
tuning base, it could be, and most likely has been, demonstrated, though
I'm not certain that it could occur and be maintained at $100 a pop in the
majority of areas on a five day work week concept.

All this with the understanding these are merely speculations on the matter
for my part.

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731