SAT FAC help please...

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 08:54:59 -0400

Charly Tuner wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Hope those who attended the Convention had a great time..I wish i could have
> had the opportunity to go!
>
> Anyway, i need the 3 FAC numbers for a 1949 36" Acrosonic, so if any SAT
> II/III users out there could help me out, I thank you very much in advance!

Umm, Terry, what's wrong with measuring the numbers of the piano when you sit
down to tune it?
You may recall that when I was in a cranky mood I flamed someone who wanted to
be given FAC numbers for a small K&C. Now, in my experience 70s era K&Cs might
give you an astronomical number for the F3. Like 28 cents or so? The SAT II
will compute a tuning with a default maximum F3 number of 20 cents. However you
approach such an instrument, the results will be imperfect.
The Acrosonic is much more reasonably scaled, but you should measure that
particular piano to generate a tuning; it won't have exactly the same FAC
numbers as the Acrosonics I run into.
Best wishes,
Patrick Draine