PTG Technical Bulletin #2 (Regulation) Question.

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 12:25:36 -0400

Well, lets see...

You could include the angle of the keys on the balance rail pins to level
them from side to side.  You could include key spacing.

You could include a number of different spacings and positionings of the
backcheck as well... fore and aft, side to side, angle of hammer contact...

You could include spacing of the wippen to both the capstans and the
knuckles.

Then there's things like traveling of the hammer shanks, and burning or
rehanging of the hammers.  (I don't know if sanding or checkering of the
hammer tails would qualify as a 'step'?  That one's a little more touchy.)

Another thing that Roger Jolly's thoughts and comments have been leading me
to believe is that center pinning can very much affect a regulation and
should certainly be a part of a high end regulation.  Is that a 'step'?  And
also making sure the groove for the repetition spring is not gummed up with
old lubricant.  Would that be a step?

Perhaps reshaping of worn hammers might qualify as a step as well, it
depends upon your perspective.

Also, if one was so inclined, checking things like action spread might also
be a 'step'.

It all depends upon how far you want to break things down.  I suspect we
could come up with a lot more than 35 or so steps if we broke things down
into small enough bites.

Interesting thread though.  :-)

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA