Dealer/Piano Owner Relationship

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Sat, 22 Jul 2000 00:12:39 -0400

Terry,
Don't get caught in the middle. Leave the negotiating to the customer.
Give the customer a written estimate and let him argue with the dealer.

If you perform the work, the customer pays you and gets reimbursed from the
dealer.
DO NOT get stuck for the dealer to get around to paying you.

Don't make it your problem.

Jon Page

At 11:06 PM 07/21/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>In a message dated 7/21/00 7:00:11 PM Central Daylight Time,
>mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:
>
><< This guy bought the piano for his daughter who is 9 and has been playing
>for
>  3 years. He knows nothing about pianos. Maybe the manufacturing defects are
>  what he gets for buying a bottom line Young Chang. But this piano needs a
>  full regulation, and basic tone building (seat all strings, level strings,
>  shape hammers, etc.). I figure at least 8 - 12 hours of work, could use more
>  (weeks). It seems to me that the dealer should at least be willing (and
>  anxious!) to take care of the adjustment-type things - perhaps more.
>
>  I asked the owner to wait until the dealer pays me for my service call
>  before we talk to him about other work needed on the piano. How is this
>  usually handled. I have no experience with this type of situation. I look
>  forward to any and all input.
>
>  Terry Farrell >>
>

>On the one hand, as you said, that's what the guy gets for buying a bottom
>line piano. On the other hand, it is the dealer's responsibility to make sure
>the piano performs properly. On the third hand, I don't think the dealer
>should pay your fee to do prep work that he could do, (or his technician, who
>will probably do it for less).
>
>You first option is to ask the dealer and see how much he is willing to
>cooperate. You never know, maybe he'll give you what you want, and everyone
>will be happy. (The dealer might also want a second opinion.)  If the dealer
>doesn't want to pay you to do the work, give the information to the customer,
>and let him talk to the dealer. If the dealer still doesn't want to pay, then
>it will be the customer's decision to pay you to do the work. But I wouldn't
>get involved any more than that.
>
>Willem

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.