I need to say this just for the record

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Sat, 22 Jul 2000 00:22:18 -0400

I can't help but add my two cents here.  I've come at it from several
different directions.

As an 'outsider', one who once looked upon the guild as the good ol' boys
club, I didn't have many friends in the guild.  I figured I didn't need them
and they didn't need me.  With that kind of attitude, what could I expect?

15 years later, I joined the guild, and although a number of members were
very welcoming, there were a few who were 'stand-off-ish'.  Here's this new
guy who knows (or doesn't know) something about pianos.  Why has he decided
to join?  It was kind of an introductory period.  Call it what you want.
Cordial, and certainly pleasant, but not as open.

After spending some time in the guild (I'm a member about 1 year now), I
think the people around me, both my local area and the cyber world, have
come to know a little more about why I'm here.  I'm interested in the free
exchange of ideas.  I'm interested in what others are doing.  I'm interested
in learning.  I'm interested in contributing what I may have learned along
the way.  I want to grow, and help those around me to grow too.

I can't help but think that there is a segment of the 'learned' tech
population that might be a little reluctant to divulge every bit of info
they've ever come across or discovered through years of hard work to every
newbie that comes along.  But I have found that those same techs are much
more interested in sharing their thoughts, their wisdom, their experience
with people who are not just there to skim the best info they can and run
off into their own little corner to play with their new toy(s).  When you
come to the group with the obvious intent of being a contributing member and
a part of the 'team', the perspective changes.  There is a sense of
camaraderie that develops over time which breaks down a lot of the barriers.

For me, I get back what I put out.  I'll be blunt.  I love people.  I care
what's going on in other people's lives.  When somebody has a problem and I
have even a little part of the answer, it gives me great happiness to be a
part of the solution.  I've got to tell you, it has come back to me ten
fold.  When I have a problem or need help with something, I have friends who
are there to help.

Do you want something from one of the 'big boys'?  Let me just ask, then,
what would you be willing to give them?  I have discovered that even the
'big boys' as I called them, those who we put on a pedestal, don't know
everything.  When you get to know them, you find out they have questions and
areas of interest where they don't have all the answers either.  Have you
ever taken enough time with one of them to find out where even one of their
areas of questioning might lie?  or do you even have a little tidbit of
information that they might be thankful for?  Offer it.  I had a wonderful
experience with a well known,  high end rebuilder.  He was looking for some
info on a piano.  I had some info.  I sent it gladly, without any strings
attached.  I sent it because I consider him a friend.  His response was "if
there's ever anything you need, let me know", and he was sincere.

What I'm driving at, the guild is, for many, what they put into it.  If
you've committed yourself to be a growing, thriving, integral part of this
wonderful body of technicians, you won't likely be an 'outsider'.  If you
choose to be separate, distanced, and aloof, can you really expect the warm
fuzzies?

There are some areas where people have gotten messed up in the political
stuff, and I hope I will be able to avoid those problems.  I tend to stick
to the more technical stuff.  And no matter what the organization, there's
good people and not so good people.  It's a lot like high school, or church,
or any number of organizations.  You can find what you want to find.  You
want criticism?  You'll find it.  You want backbiting?  You'll find it.  You
want jerks?  You'll find them.  You want warm, caring, sharing, good
friends?  You'll find lots of them.  You want to share ideas and information
with the best minds the PTG has?  You will find them too.

You hold a lot more of the power than you may give yourself credit for.
Think about it.  :-)

(Time to get off the soapbox...)

I just couldn't help myself...

Brian Trout