Frozen or Binding regulating screws

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 21:57:12 -0400

Hi Arnie,

I'll throw out a few things and see if anyone has something to say.  You =
never know.  Throw enough mud on the wall and maybe something will =
stick.

You mentioned Protec.  I don't know if that would tend to swell the wood =
around the regulating screws or not. (I wonder if another liquid such as =
alcohol would do something? I don't know, I'm throwing out the idea??)

You could try putting the action stack in a "conditioning area".  I was =
thinking what might happen if you used something like the hotbox a =
person might use for drying soundboard panels.  Nothing too radical, but =
it should shrink the wood somewhat by drying things out.  Even a little =
cardboard box about the size of an action with a couple of Dampp-Chaser =
rods in it would work.

You could try heating the screws with some type of a heat gun or =
soldering iron or ???  (I was thinking one of the Weller gun type =
soldering guns might be a good choice.  A fair bit of heat to a specific =
spot fairly quickly.) Heat the screws, compress the wood, the screws =
cool and might be a little looser in their holes.  ?  Maybe?

I don't know what's in Liquid Wrench, so I can't even speculate on that =
one.

The only other thing that comes to mind is trying to cool the screws =
(thinking that metal shrinks when it gets cold) with some type of freon =
or dry ice or ??  but that seems to be pretty impractical, and quite =
cumbersome.

I can't think of anything else short of replacing rails or something =
similarly radical.

I'll be watching to see what other people think.

Thanks for asking.

Good luck,

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA