Frozen or Binding regulating screws

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 21:26:49 -0600

Hi Arnie,
                An 80 watt soldering iron will work fine, and fairly quickly.
Hold the iron on the screws for about 30secs. The screw should feel hot and
not
comfortable to hold your finger on, before attempting to adjust. DON"T rush
and
move the screws back and forth as you go, in the same manner as tapping a hole
in metal.
If you feel the screw is hard to move, apply more heat.
Brushing the threads where possible, with a small wire brush also helps..
A little WD40, and I mean a little, applied to the threads will help.  This is
what it is designed to do. Just apply a small drop to the thread with a tooth
pick and give it time to work.
Be careful, and have fun.
Regards Roger

At 09:02 PM 28/07/00 -0400, you wrote:

> Hi, List.
>
> I have just finished inspecting the action of an old Hallet & Davis baby
> grand. (The serial number seems to have been long ago obliterated but I'm
> guessing it's about 60-70 years old.)  The piano was just "rebuilt" but the
> "rebuilder" didn't bother to regulate the action. This action isn't a little
> out, it's grossly out! Perhaps the reason it wasn't regulated is that
most of
> the regulating screws are binding so badly I think they would break, or
worse
> - strip the holes if they were turned any large amount.
>
> I will shortly be attempting to regulate this action. I'm looking for any
> experiences out there with techniques to free up  binding regulating screws.
> It has been suggested that I try pin-point applications of Proteck's Prolube
> liquid, which I will. But I would like to have more than one card up my
> sleeve before I start this job. Can anyone suggest other approaches?  I
> thought of  Liquid Wrench, but would it harm the action?
> Thanks,
>
> Arnie
> Arnold D. Moss
> Associate Member, PTG