[Fwd: Fw: SAT users only]

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Fri, 5 May 2000 06:38:49 EDT

John writes:
>> So for a SAT, it is a 4 cell battery pack, they call it a rechargeable
>4.8V > Ni-Cd R/C battery pack. 600 mAh #23-245 and it is $19.99 Cdn.
>> It is the identical size to the origional. Be sure to get the polarity
>> correct.

Greetings,
      I hate to solder!  I like hide glue and leather and stuff, but I really
shy away from the electronics.   It was interesting to see the thread about
self-replacement of the battery.  Just four ni-cads?
     So,  I did it.  I went to Radio Shack and found that there were twin
packs of AAA rechargables.  # 23-191.  I got two of them for $12.00 and took
about fifteen  minutes.  Some thoughts to keep in mind.......
   The little black retainers holding the case together need the centers
pushed into the unit, then the remaining part of the "rivet' pops right out.
When the unit is unclipped,  pull it frontwards just enough to clear the
bottom casing, then lift the face-plate up and back over the bottom, it will
remain connected by two flat wires.  Prop it up on a block of wood or
something behind the bottom case and you will have room to work.
    Cut the leads very close to the battery bank, leaving plenty to reattach
to the new batterys.   I used epoxy to glue the four batteries into a "bank"
on a sheet of wax paper, then soldered the tabs together(in series). The
foldout tabs don't line up, so have a little wire nearby to thread through
the tab-holes and crimp over.  and then a little re epoxy to attach to the
bottom of the box.  Make sure it is centered, clearances are tight.
   It works!  I didn't keep it plugged in while I did this work, either.  I
still have all the programs too.
If you go slow, this is an easy repair.
Regards,
Ed Foote.