"New" old uprights Costs

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Sat, 6 May 2000 10:47:18 EDT

In a message dated 05/05/2000 7:08:59 PM Central Daylight Time,
Wimblees@AOL.COM writes:

> In that case, then I think he ripping off his customers. For that kind of
>  money, I expect the piano to be completely rebuilt, including new parts,
>  repaired pin block and sound board, etc., etc.
>
>  My problems with a rebuilt (restored, reconditioned, etc.) upright is that
>  there are so many problems left undone, like loose back posts, bad pin
>  blocks, potentially cracked soundboard.
>
>  I tell my customers that pianos generally last about 75 - 100 years, give
or

>  take 10 years. That is the time at which major problems will develop. And
>  some of those problems cannot be "fixed" without major overhauling. Which,
> in
>  most cases, are almost impossible to do on uprights.
>
>  Willem

First, if he is ripping off his then so are you!  He does at least as much
work as you listed for $6993 and the customer is getting a piano in the
bargain. In your previous post you said "If someone wants to sell an upright
that has been completely rebuilt, for $7500, he is either not doing
everything necessary, or he is cheating himself."  Now you are saying for
that kind of money you expect the piano to be completely rebuilt.  Which is
it?

Second, I said he does what needs to be done and no more, in other words, fix
loose back posts,shim soundboards, replace pin block.

Third, impossible for who to do?  We install new bridges, soundboards, pin
blocks, retrofit actions, build case parts, reveneer.  The determining factor
that makes a piano impossible is the quality of the instrument, some do not
have enough potential.

Dave
DFW Texas