temperament

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 05:24:33 EST

Ric writes:
>If temperament is so important to the music why can't it be recognized
>without resorting to electronic devices?

Greetings,
     First, it can be.  I  have  customers that recognize a Kirnberger, and
several harpsichordists knew when I had changed to a Young for a performance,
after they had been practising with a Prelleur.
  The use of electronic measurement to extract a temperament is a new
approach. While not absolutely "necessary", it may get a researcher more
information a lot quicker than spending years becoming familiar with the
sounds of the tunings.
     Groups of piano technicians have also demonstrated that a slightly well
tempered piano sounds more in tune than an equally tempered one,(J. Coleman).
 And the same goes for piano teachers and students, (Jolly).    Recognition
of the actual temperament is not as important as developing a sensitivity to
the tonal palette.  One can sense a feeling without knowing the actual
chemistry.

>Or, if no one can tell by
>listening, what difference does it make what temp is used?
> ric "I am NOT a skeptic"

   Many people can tell by listening, and nearly all pianists feel the
difference as soon as they play the instrument.
   Just hang on for a little while and we will have a CD with three tunings
used for the same piece. I don't think you will have any trouble hearing
three distinct sounds.  I don't know which one you will like, but your
preference, whatever it may be,  will then be  credible and supported after
hearing all three and rejecting two!
    On the other hand,  if a person is not sensitive to the differences, even
after several listenings, then I assume it must be an innate trait, like
color-blindness, and there is nothing of interest for that person in the
topic of temperament.
     The computer generated "Magic Eye" pictures offer a suitable analogy to
temperament.  Some people cannot see the hidden image, at all.  These people
will not believe that there is an image in there until several others all see
the same thing.   Temperament is like that.  There is an image in the music
that is not apparent in some tunings.  Those that hear the difference are
regarded skeptically by those that do not.
    Most sensitivities are learned, and a willingness to learn sometimes
requires us to  question the status quo.  This is not always easy, since
normal people want there to be some "percentage" in taking chances.  So,  we
have to either know there is a reward, or we adventure out there on faith or
curiousity.  Curiousity was enough for me, and then musicians began reacting
in very favorable ways,  giving me some impetus to pursue the field even
more.
     Temperaments, in the hands of a seeking technician, open up large areas
of growth, both musically and financially,  that otherwise are not even
there, like the hidden image in a computer picture.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT
(yea,  I've been told I am out in the tall weeds with all this, but hey,
life is too short to stay on the main road ALL the time!)