Electoral college and simple math

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 03:56:31 -0600

.
    > You seem to be really selective about which part of the system you
> decry.
>
> Gina

If Congress is held to the standard of the Electorial collage, then states
like Wyoming, South Dakota, North Dakota would have NO representatives in
the House.
In the Constitution each state is guarateed at least one representative in
the House no matter what the population even if there is disparity.  In the
Senate of course there is no disparity because by design only two from each
state are elected.  But Greg makes a very cogent point----how come the 3
electors of Wyoming represent more people than 3 of California's 54
electors?    If disparity in the Electoral College or in Congress is
decried,  the Consititution itself  must be changed.
    The first president from the Republican party said we are a nation "of
the people, by the people and for the people" and this at the end of a
bloody civil war to over "states rights"  Now it seems ironic that the
current Republican candidate having lost the vote of the people, can only
hope to attain office by a vote of the states.   So do we want a president
of the people or a president of states? ---ric