Parts stock - (was Schaff buys American Piano Supply)

David Ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 19:51:04 -0700

I order it when I need it!  You either want to have every possible item
around for every possibility or you don't.  I don't!  Looking up at my
supply shelf I see:  a few sets of keytops, set of ebony sharps, misc. key
cloth, felt etc.  Punchings, set of upright hammers, misc. action parts
(certainly not every possible item)  $500.00 tops.  I don't see the value in
having an investment in supplies hanging around taking up room.  Of course
that can change depending on what is coming up.  I may have several sets of
hammers but they are ordered or a upcoming job.  Now as I say this I don't
have a big shop, just 1/2 of my single car garage.  I do not carry
everything possible in my car.  Now this is me,of course,and I don't do a
lot of rebuilding so that probably is a big factor.  I remember Susan Graham
advising against stocking too much stuff and I took it heart.  I guess my
question to you is do you find you've got a lot of stuff that rarely gets
used?  If not,then I'd say your well stocked for your situation and thats
the key...

David I.