Clean unisons

Thu, 05 Oct 2000 08:45:45 +0200

Hi Linda.

We get quickly into this buisness of how each human perceives "in tuneness"
when we run into such situations as you describe. You have to hold on to
your own beliefs basically, keeping and open mind of course as life takes
you different places. However, learning to tune specifically for a
particular customers tastes is a real challange and potentially a big eye
opener. If you decide to experiment with unisons a bit for this particular
fellow, be conservative. Often the slightest change can make a much bigger
difference then one might expect. A "beat rate" in unisons of perhaps a 1/5
bps might end up being way to much in the end.

Tell the guy that any such "customized" tuning requires of him that he
invests the time and money to work with you over several tunings before he
can expect that you or any other tuner can adequately adjust standard
tuning practice for his particular tastes. This can be done, but you first
have to go through a process of learning to "speak the same language" as it
were.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.