SD-10 Problem

Kevin E. Ramsey RPT ramsey@extremezone.com
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 22:42:09 -0700

    I serviced a SD-10 Baldwin concert grand today, and I found something
really strange. I hadn't really noticed before, but when I got to the top
two sections, the tone was really, really jangley. I said "what is going on
here??"  Upon closer scrutiny, I noticed that the waste sections of wire
between the individual capo thingees and the tuning pins had nothing more
than bushing cloth underneath them. The problem with this is that the capo
thingees leave the wire about 3mm above the plate, therefore, the waste ends
were just ringing horribly. I mean, I've heard of the "Angels of Steinway
singing along", but these sounded more like the bells of Hell clanging
behind the Grim Reaper. This is the best piano that Baldwin produces; is
this what they intended when they built it?
        What am I missing here? Does tuning include restringing and
installing felt? Is this the best that we as Americans can produce?
Kevin E. Ramsey, R.P.T.
Phoenix, Arizona
ramsey@extremezone.com