Vallotti Young

Tue, 31 Oct 2000 22:02:25 +0100

Well its been a week now since I put this temperament on one of the
university pianos and posted a note encouraging students and teachers alike
to use and experiment with it. I thought I might er... communicate a few

About 40 % of the students I have approached about this so far didnt
understand that I had done anything different at all. Also, they didnt hear
any difference. Supprised ??? probably not so suprising really. About 10%
didnt really like what they heard. They got immediatly hung up on the tonal
combinations that didnt work and closed off from experimenting further. The
rest were really interested in the whole idea. I dont think there has been
so much Bach being played here for several years. Even most of those who
didnt really notice any real difference were eager for explanations and I
expect many of those will get into this experiment in the comming weeks.

Today one of the head honchoe piano instructors sat down with me after I
had just cleaned up the tuning. This time I let the RCT do the temperament
and an octave on either side, while I did the rest of the octave by ear.I
was suprised at how easy it was to find the right spot for the notes in the
highest octave.. but thats another story.

This instructor sat down and fooled a bit, then proceeded to play a few
Baroque pieces.... stopping here and there to comment on what he was
hearing. He was simply put enthralled. It was hard to get him off the piano
actually, when a couple students came in to take there practice hour. When
he asked about the classic problem of having to retune for different types
of music I simply said that thats what a piano tuner is really for. That is
our job and it is up to the pianist to know enough about what we can do to
fully utilize our capabilities.

Gotta say folks... my first week of HT's has been a good one. The music
that functions best on this temperament sounds absolutely delightful...
no... way more then that... way more. And I gotta ask myself. Why should we
deny ourselves this just because its a "pain in the arse" to have to retune
the instrument... isnt that our job ????

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.