Absolute pitch again

JStan40@AOL.COM JStan40@AOL.COM
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 15:59:52 EDT

In a message dated 09/01/2000 2:06:19 PM Central Daylight Time, Richard
Brekne@ptg.org writes:

(snip)<< He says he
 has heard and played on a few pianos tuned in various HT configurations,
 and still says that the colour of keys remain the same... they just get a
 bit differerent "tint".. thats what he said... "tint"

 Anyways... I thought I'd throw this one out there as I thought it was it
 was interesting .

 - --
 Richard Brekne
 RPT, N.P.T.F.
 Bergen, Norway >>

Richard,

While this MAY elicit a flurry of varying responses, I don't think you'll get
anything definitive, because there seems to BE nothing definitive about this
phenomenon.  It exists in a certain percentage of the population, musical or
not, much the same way that color blindness exists (and NO, I don't mean to
equate the two, they are just quirks of memory, basically).  What I have also
observed is that there are widely varying degrees of sensitivity as well,
with the most sensitive people being constantly bombarded by "wrong" pitches,
and trying hard to turn themselves off.  Most of us are content to be pretty
close, and some can adjust to other levels pretty well.

This guy hears in colors...many do.  I hear in quality of sound, but that's
hard to explain, too, since I don't have any difficulty with hearing pitches
on instruments other than piano, so the quality I'm hearing has nothing to do
with the individual timbres of the instruments.  It's not a simple thing to
explain, but then, since none of us can really DO anything about it, other
than try to develop and work with what we have, well...............you see my
point?  And his reaction to HTs simply means that he is listening to aspects
of the music beyond just pitch--relationships are apparently important, which
is central to a musician's understanding.

Sorry not to have answers, but perhaps that IS an answer, just not a very
satisfactory one.

Stan Ryberg
Barrington IL