False Beats ??

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sat, 02 Sep 2000 09:36:09 -0500

>Hi Ron,
>            Note I mentioned the pointed pins. To my way of thinking if
>they are anchored, the bottom of the pin is less likely to move over time
>do to expansion and contraction due to humidity swings.
>The point will also leave no cavity if driven securely home,  the head of
>the other type pins will not conform to the angle of the drill bit.
> I prefer these longer pins, and drill a little deeper to accomodate them.
>I agree with your point on the quality of maple that seems to be used on
>many caps, but I would consider sloppy drilling to be just as big a factor.
> Depth, blunt drill bits etc.
>If the hole has been incorrectly drilled and is the pin is loose, epoxy is
>probably the best long term solution.

Hi Roger,
I use the pointed pins too, because they're *longer*, which might help to
support the pin better along it's length and possibly take a little
pressure off of the bridge cap. What I'm questioning is the presumption
that not having the pin bottomed in the hole will cause false beats, or
that any sort of cavity, however minute, will affect the deterioration rate
of the system. I question this because I haven't seen any reasonably
conclusive evidence to support the premise. I think it's just one of those
things that someone, probably in the advertising department at Steinway,
said and everyone has accepted on faith ever since. It's very much like the
assumption that not having the soundboard perfectly fitted to the outer rim
will diminish the sound. That one's incorrect, and I think this one is too.

Ron N