Debussy pedal

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Mon, 04 Sep 2000 19:31:57 -0600

Hi Rogerio,
                 Quite a common request from top performers. Although I have
not heard it called a Debussy pedal.

Half pedalling is all but impossible on a pedals , dampers or action frames,
that are badly worn.
Every mm of movement of the pedal MUST be cleanly transmitted to the action
cavity.

Half peddling damper.
The pedal is depressed to the point that the strings are just, and no more,
starting to cause the strings to bleed. Used to add extra texture to a melodic
passage.  Used quite offen on repeat passages. To offer subtle contrast.
If you press the pedal, say 1/4" the results must be consistent, hence trap
work must be in good condition. It is also critical that the dampers be
correctly timed.
Half peddling unacorda.
Again the shift pedal trap work and check block hardware must be in good
condition.
The pedal again is just partially depressed, just enough to get out of the
grooves.  The softer felt will change the voicing.  If there is new
hammers, or
they have just been reshaped, there will be little or no contrast.
To voice for good unacorda operation. Block each hammer to the string, make a
small pencil mark exactly between the strings, also mark exactly the same
distance to the left of the left hand string. Needle about 1mm deep at or
close
to the strike point.

A note on damper half peddling, Sewn flat damper felt, will give the greatest
amount of variation.  Firm bichord and unichord will exhibit the smallest
amount of contrast.

I'm in the midst of writing a 5 chapter series on grand dampers, half peddling
is covered in depth, including the use of various felt qualities.
Hope this makes sense.
Regards Roger

At 06:59 PM 04/09/00 -0300, you wrote:

> To the list
>
> Yesterday I went to tune a Yamaha Grand (G5) and the pianist that came from
> France asked me to regulate the sustain pedal half way. I was surprised
> because I never heard nothing about and he said to me that in Europe the
> technicians regulate the sustain pedal in a special way in order of the
> pianist to play Debussy.
> I would like to know how to do this.
> I suppose that this is impossible and that the pianist with rapid movements
> of the pedal may obtain an special effect.
> Rogerio Cunha
> IC Member of the Piano Technicians Guild
> Rio de Janeiro - Brazil

Roger Jolly
Saskatoon, Canada.
306-665-0213