Roller Size, again

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 01:10:57 +1000

Richard Moody and list,

Richard wrote of the Overs action drawings

>Very interesting pictures, drawings rather.  BTW how are they done?
>Scanned or CAD, or some other computer drawing program?

Converted to jpeg using Photoshop, from the final CAD drawings prior
to building the prototypes. The CAD drawings were completed last
December, but weren't released to anyone until the patent application
was lodged in March 2000.

>It is an interesting (to me at least) short repitition lever and position of
>the spring.

This design was not a styling exercise - the whole CAD design took
three months pretty much full time. The spring design is part of our
pending patent. This spring has the lower spring arm positioned on
the line of centres from the repetition lever to the jack centre.
This minimises spring friction and noise (which can be considerable
with the double-wing spring wippens).

The Wippen Helper Springs

Furthermore, the shorter rep' lever allows for easy access to the
helper spring adjustment screw. The first production piano has been
set up with the helper spring pressure evenly graded from 18 gm
(measured at the face of the jack) at note A1, to zero at note A#50
(51 - 88 have no springs). Keyleads were inserted subsequently to
achieve the downweight figures of 52 gram at note A1 to 48 gm at note
C88. This action has different size wippen heels for the black and
white notes - to optimise friction (ie minimise) and to ensure a
constant hammer/key leverage ratio. Obviously, the black notes
required more lead to acheive the specified downweight figure, since
the black-note weight in front of the balance pin is less than that
of the whites. The hammers were carefully graded for weight prior to
setting up the keyboard. We were intent on achieving an even grading
of the key inertia between the blacks and whites. To acheive this
end, the wippen assist springs must exert an even pressure prior to
inserting key leads. I am convinced that assist springs (if used)
must be accompanied by a means of adjustment. I know that you can
adjust them manually, but who goes to the trouble of grading the
pressure when there is no screw adjustment?

Rep' spring jack-hole

The spring hole in the jack is also located on the line of centres
(also part of the patent pend.) for the same reason as the
positioning of the lower rep' spring arm.

>I had to look at action diagrams and a whippen here (Kawai,
>Schwander also I suppose) to see why the RL needs a "tail".  But now that
>you have shortened it,  it can no longer be called a "lever" ; ) .

I don't see why not! It still performs as a lever which supports the
hammer shank to facilitate repetition. The only difference being that
the rep' lever height adjustment on our action is via a scew (pulling
- as it does on the older Schwander types), rather than an adjustment
button (pushing) on the other side of the rep' lever centre.

>     Now if
>you could just figure out how to get the jack regulating screw in the
>balance lever.

Why would anyone want to ? Explain!

>I sure a simple felt spacing pad in the window has been
>tried before.

Oh yes you're correct! But I would presume that most of us are
interested in evolving our craft in a forward direction.

Repetition lever centre position

The position of the repetition lever centre height is also part of
our patent claim. The centre has been located to minimise friction
between the roller and the repetition lever during the hammer's rise
out of check. Note the line (of centres) between the rep' lever
centre and the hammer centre in the lower drawing. This condition is
only satisfied when the hammer is in the check position.

The jack tail

The jack tail design (ie. radius and angle) has been specified
according to a mathematical formula (which is also part of our patent
claim). This design reduces the friction at the jack tail almost to
zero, since the jack tail (in this design only) actually rolls on the
surface of the let off button.

Both the prototypes and the first production action perform with an
upweight measurement which is 10 gm less than the downweight, ie. if
the downweight is 50 gm, the upweight is 40. The hammer rest sitting
so close to the hammer shanks is not accidental. There remains
considerable energy in the leverage system when the shank returns to
rest following the keystroke (in this design). The close hammer rest
reduces the propensity of the hammer to bounce when it returns to the
rest position.

Sorry about the length folks. I got a bit carried away. Its 1.10 am
here in Sydney, and our first grand piano (with the above mentioned
action) is on display today as part of an Olympics business promotion
put on by our State government. I'd better get some sleep.

Regards,

Ron Overs
--

Website:  www.overspianos.com.au