Bechstein restoration

ANRPiano@AOL.COM ANRPiano@AOL.COM
Sat, 16 Sep 2000 12:24:49 EDT

In a message dated 9/16/00 3:12:55 AM Central Daylight Time, dnu@fx.ro writes:

<< Yes, the grain. I mean, there is grain, but the pattern isn't showing a
lot.
 Unlike usual walnut, which has the lighter brown with darker markings, this
 veneer is a dark brown (like coffee) and the grain is not very visible.

I am also just getting into a Bechstein 8', originally ebony.  We have
stripped a couple pieces just to confirm that there was no interesting woods
underneath and there were indeed nothing but this very plain veneer.  I have
also seen it on the early ebonized S&S pianos from the turn of the century.

I have a question to pose to the collective concerning my Bechstein.  It was
built in 1929 and has no sustenuto.  We will be doing a complete rebuilding,
pinblock, soundboard, action, etc.  What are you thoughts on adding a
sustenuto and consequently a third pedal?  I have no problem managing these
modifications, just wondering if anyone would have serious reservations about
such a change from the original.

Andrew Remillard