Steinway bushings - verdigris

Susan Kline sckline@home.com
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 05:45:32 -0700

At 11:12 PM 09/28/2000 -0700, you wrote:
>Had excellent results in freeing up a very sluggish action by heating the
>hammer flange pins with a soldering iron. My question to those who have
>done this: How long can this freed-up condition be expected to last?
>The owner plans to have this 81 year old S&S rebuilt in 3-4 years, so is
>hoping to keep it going til then. My inspiration for the heat remedy came
>from postings some time ago on this most informative list. Thanks &
>regards,  Henry Kopek, RPT Chicago Chapter

I once used Mehaffey's "zapper" on hopelessly seized S&S hammer flanges,
which had been totally soaked with something oily by some unknown
protagonist. I think the oil speeds up the verdigris process. It's too bad
that the first signs of verdigris are usually treated with lubricants
rather than repinning. Though not a "cure", I think that early repinning
and not adding anything oily would give longer service before the
inevitable parts replacement.

The zapper heats the center pin by an electrical current. These parts also
were about to be replaced, and the owners wanted a year's use out of them
first. They moved away, so I don't know the long-term effects, but the
flanges got a little too loose, as vaporized oil bubbled and fumed off in
little bursts of smoke. There was some clicking afterwards, but no
sluggishness.

The concern about heating the center pin enough to free the action is that
it also chars the birdseye. I don't think heating should be done except on
parts that are already slated for demolition.

Susan