Ear plugs

Fri, 29 Sep 2000 07:51:36 -0500

At 06:48 09/29/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Clyde and List,
>
>I have worn custom Westone molds and 15 dB ER inserts for about eight
>months or so. I use them for the entire tuning, and find that my ears are
>as sensitive at the last tuning as they are at the first. I have not once
>regretted buying the plugs.
>
>Buy 'em and use 'em!
>
>John Formsma

Here, here!
Hear, hear!!!

Same here, except I've had mine about 4 years.

There are also side benefits.  I just got back from tuning a Kimball 42"
"Artist Model" console which was parked in the hallway outside the college
cafeteria freezers.  Very bad place to tune with echo/reverb of hard walls
and floor added to the noise of the refrigeration equipment.

The plugs cut down the echos and compressor noise enough that all I really
had to deal with was the piano.

I also find that I can tolerate vacuums operating much more closely.
(aside - Yes, Kristinn, I am an aural tuner.)

©Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician -mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
Luther College, 700 College Drive, Decorah, Iowa 52101-1045
Voice-(319)-387-1204  //  Fax (319)-387-1076(Dept.office)

Si fractum non sit, noli id refirece.