Ear plugs/from an affirmed advocate

RptBob1@AOL.COM RptBob1@AOL.COM
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 17:20:59 EDT

In a message dated 9/29/00 7:40:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
cedel@supernet.com writes:

<< ar plugs for some or all of the tuning?  Is the number
 increasing?  I started within the past two years when I developed a slight
 tinnitis which I suppose I will have the rest of my life.  Are there some old
 tuners who have never used ear plugs and yet have excellent hearing?  I feel
it
 is a sensible precaution although I would rather not bother with them.

 Regards, Clyde >>
 Hi Clyde:

I have used ear plugs  for the past three years and have found them to be
immensely valuable.  Where I used to develop headaches from all the pounding,
I no longer have had that problem.  I have never had a hearing problem from
prior (20+ years) tuning so cannot categorically say they have "saved" my
hearing.  It is just nice to not have the percussive effects rolling around
ones head.  I am less tired and know that my tunings are not suffering from
fatigue caused by test blows and the like.
They are also excellent for screening out background noises such as
children's voices, tv sets in the next room, or the whine of
refrigerators,washing machines, and vacuum cleaners.  I'm not so sure their
effectiveness would be so if these items and noises were right next to the
tuning area (within 5-6 feet).  As a bonus, I have been on airplanes where in
order to get some sleep or relief from noisy passengers, I have used earplugs
and got increased rest and quiet as a result.  I now use the type that fit
around the neck when not in the ears.  The carrier is similar to a
stethoscope, but of course not nearly as costly-  about 1.50 per pair.  I
have also used the type that more completely insert into the outer ear, but
find these a bit annoying.  The type I use just fit lightly into the
earcanal.  I don't know the name-they were given to me by an engineer at
NASA. Members of the Cleveland Chapter had an opportunity to purchase ear
plugs several years ago and many did.  At a recent meeting I asked how many
still used the earplugs they had purchased, and surprisingly, very few were
still using them.  Go figure!

Bob Bergantino, RPT
Willoughby Hills, Ohio