Scandinavian Whiteglue + CA

Susan Kline sckline@home.com
Mon, 01 Jan 2001 11:56:39 -0800

>Hi Susan and list

Hi, Ola. Happy New Year.

>This post have lot of mispleldings. But I hope you understand it.

It comes through loud and clear, and the mispleldings make it fun.

>Scandinavian wood glue is a PVAc glue.
>That doesn't tell me much but it was also called  "plastic glue" in "old
>days" even if it is used on wood
>So it is a kind of plastic I suppose. It is called the white glue.
>prodused by Casco and is the glue
>having most of the wood glue market here.
>I don't know if this is the same as the American White Glue
>I would very much like to have glues like Titebond here in the shops.
>I have sendt them an e-mail and is hoping to get an answer after this holiday.

While there are variations in white glues, I suspect that your white glue
is very like our white glue, commonly called "Elmer's." I have found that
any water-based glue will work with the CA. There are two types of
Titebond, yellow carpenter's glue, Elmer's, etc. Any of them which I have
tried have worked with the CA glue. The water seems to be the active
ingredient, and the pH seems all right. (CA doesn't set up well in acid
environments.)

>Having pichraised and tuned a never tuned 20 year old "Nordiska" piano
>I run out of time and when putting back the practice damperfelt into the
>piano
>the felt felt off.(is it why it is called felt?).

Ah, if only it were so. <big grin> Fall, Fell, Has Fallen, alas.

>So what to do. The CA glue went strait into the felt and
>I couldn't wait for the White glue to dry I suddenly remembered Susan
>Kline advice. So I aplied
>White glue to the felt and CA to the aluminium ribe thing and I got
>instant contact, it was like using
>a double sided tape.The bond was so strong I would ruin the felt if I
>tried to get them apart.

Magnificent! And I'm glad that you didn't wet your fingers with the glue
mixture while pressing on the felt. You might still be attached to the
damper rail! <grin> I keep acetone in the car, just in case. Once the two
glues have mixed, but before they have dried, they are several times as
sticky as the CA glue alone. One day I was gluing on a rubber button and
one finger still had a little white glue on it, and my thumb and finger
stuck together so hard it took a lot of acetone and pulling to get them
loose. (One feels awfully dopey walking to the car to unstick one's fingers
...)

>When I come home I got into the same problem with one of the wisemen in
>the stable he had lost
>his head. So I aplied white glue to the head and CA to the body and got
>instant contact. I'm not
>sure yet how strong the bond is but I found the wiseman with his head of
>again after been treated
>by my 2 year old boy but the break was now at a new place. He is now
>getting a veneered neck.
>After reading Susans glue
>site   http://www.telusplanet.net/public/atonal/kline.html
>I think I'm been using a Steve Brady aproach. I will expriment more on this
>Thanks Susan!

You're welcome! My best discovery ever, I think. Feel free to quote the
article to the Nordic list, if you like. And thanks, Rob Kiddell, for
keeping the article on your site.

And your creche statue is surely not the first wise man to lose his head,
this year. In fact, many people we thought were wise also seem to have
wooden heads. Here's hoping for better things in 2001. (topical American
political comment ... ignore, lucky Europeans ...)

>I would like to send my experince to the Nordic pianolist but first I want
>to know
>what is American White glue?

There was a Journal article about all sorts of glues a few years ago. I'll
try to find it and get back to you. They had the technical descriptions of
what the common white and yellow glues were. I suspect yours are the same
as ours.

Regards,

Susan