Over here! (long)

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Mon, 1 Jan 2001 19:36:25 EST

Clark writes:
<<Umm, 54 is divisible by 6 9 times so an (n+9)/n interval is 200 cents,

so it contains half of 12tET:>>

Greetings,
     Admittedly, I have never used or tuned the higher ET's ,  but it was my
understanding that by the time you divide an octave into more than 31 notes,
there will be enough pitches in proximity to virtually anything that 12 ET
provides.  This is theory from the synthsizer people, who have added the
computer logic to adaptive theory, and some of them seem to be programming
adaptive-on-the-fly software that selects pitch based on something well
beyond me.
    It must be considered that the piano, tuned and used as we know it,  will
not be a forever thing.  After several generations come of age in an
environment that places the piano along side so many other instruments,  it
may come to be seen as an anachronistic, expensive, limited instrument.
This has been one strong impetus for me to encourage technicians to broaden
their list of available temperaments, since the addtional tonal resources
available from a multi-temperament capability just might give the instrument
a more attractive appeal to the new musicians that are being born right now.
   If the music of the classical composers does have greater emotional "pull"
in a more age-related intonation,( the infamous "HT"s)  then it would be a
shame not to have that manifest itself as part of what the piano can offer.
There are no promises that this is so, but the possibility is enough for me
to justify investing  the effort to research and learn, the time to teach, to
risk of alienating some customers, and to suffer the slings and arrows of
narrow-minded reactionaries that fear what I am doing.
  Ain't life grand?
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT