Over here! (long)

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Mon, 01 Jan 2001 18:37:43 -0800

Ed,

Other than the links provided in the footnotes at the end of the article,
what list does this come from?

Thanks.

Horace

At 07:36 PM 1/1/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>Clark writes:
><<Umm, 54 is divisible by 6 9 times so an (n+9)/n interval is 200 cents,
>
>so it contains half of 12tET:>>
>
>Greetings,
>      Admittedly, I have never used or tuned the higher ET's ,  but it was my
>understanding that by the time you divide an octave into more than 31 notes,
>there will be enough pitches in proximity to virtually anything that 12 ET
>provides.  This is theory from the synthsizer people, who have added the
>computer logic to adaptive theory, and some of them seem to be programming
>adaptive-on-the-fly software that selects pitch based on something well
>beyond me.
>     It must be considered that the piano, tuned and used as we know
> it,  will
>not be a forever thing.  After several generations come of age in an
>environment that places the piano along side so many other instruments,  it
>may come to be seen as an anachronistic, expensive, limited instrument.
>This has been one strong impetus for me to encourage technicians to broaden
>their list of available temperaments, since the addtional tonal resources
>available from a multi-temperament capability just might give the instrument
>a more attractive appeal to the new musicians that are being born right now.
>    If the music of the classical composers does have greater emotional
> "pull"
>in a more age-related intonation,( the infamous "HT"s)  then it would be a
>shame not to have that manifest itself as part of what the piano can offer.
>There are no promises that this is so, but the possibility is enough for me
>to justify investing  the effort to research and learn, the time to teach, to
>risk of alienating some customers, and to suffer the slings and arrows of
>narrow-minded reactionaries that fear what I am doing.
>   Ain't life grand?
>Regards,
>Ed Foote RPT

Horace Greeley, 			email:	hgreeley@stanford.edu
CNA, MCP, RPT
Systems Analyst/Engineer		voice:	650.725.9062
Controller's Office			fax:	650.725.8014
Stanford University
651 Serra St., RM 100, MC 6215
Stanford, CA 94305-6215