"pulley" keys

Lance Lafargue lancelafargue@bellsouth.net
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 08:56:49 -0600

Hey Howard, remember me?
As I do an entire set I can never get them all perfectly consistent.  So, I
carry a $40 large/complete set (from Harbor Freight, cheap Korean set) of
drill bits with me, (lettered, #, etc) and a micrometer.  I mic the key pin
and us a drill bit a couple/few thousands on an inch larger than the pin.  I
chuck the drill bit in a T handle UPSIDE DOWN or CHUCK SIDE OUT/CUTTING END
IN THE CHUCK of T handle, and just go through the set from the bottom.  I'm
careful about entering straight.  I can do a set in just maybe 3-5 minutes
and know that they are exactly the same for my purpose.  In Louisiana's
humidity, I do this on almost every action I regulate or do any substantial
work on.  I've never had anyone tell me why this is a bad idea....Maybe now?
Regards,

Lance Lafargue, RPT
Mandeville, LA
New Orleans Chapter, PTG
lancelafargue@bellsouth.net

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Howard S. Rosen
Sent: Monday, January 01, 2001 12:08 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: "pulley" keys

Hello Friends,

I would like to air a concern of mine and elicit some response. Despite my
efforts to carefully ease key balance holes from east to west only, and to
perform this repair minimally to avoid pulley keys, I often get a very
slight pulley action after sufficiently easing the key. It seems that I
cannot get the desired easing (such that the key drops of its own weight
after lifting it about a half inch or so) without getting a slight pulley
affect. Does it sound as though this is to be expected? Or... am I not being
careful enough? Yes, I am using the appropriate tool, entering it from the
top of the key, and then turning it 90 degrees before easing. I am very
careful not to ease top and bottom but only left and right. What are your
thoughts?

Since I am not currently subscribed and 1 full year behind in reading the
archives, please duplicate any response and send to me personally at:
hsrosen@gate.net   Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Howard S. Rosen, RPT
Boynton Beach, Florida
hsrosen@gate.net