moisture in wool or wood.

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 09:53:05 -0500

"I think what Dan is trying to describe to you is simply that if the =
"hole" wasnt there... then what would happen to the same area of wood =
around that hole ? Why should that react differently, or why shouldnt it =
? Think about that as well when you drill your test piece tommorrow. :) =
"

Keeping in mind that I am simply trying to understand and make sense of =
this, my reasoning is as follows: If the hole was not there, that area =
of the hole would expand and get larger, just as he indicated. AND, if =
the hole is not there, then wood is there, and wood expands with =
increasing moisture content, causing the area in which it resides to get =
bigger. BUT if there is a hole there, then there is no wood there, and =
the wood around the hole will expand, thus closing off the hole (or at =
least moving in that direction). So, yes, it should react differently, =
because a hole reacts differently than wood, and wood next to a hole =
will be able to expand/contract in a different manner than wood next to =
wood. And I will think about all of that while I drill my hole. I might =
even drill two holes. I might even drill several holes of different =
sizes. So there!

AND I will also be thinking about what a pleasure it is to interact with =
other technicians on topic such as these to gain better understandings =
of our work. This is the kind of thing that when we keep to ourselves in =
a little cocoon, errant thoughts will remain and perhaps multiply =
indefinitely. Of course I know that sometimes we don't solve a darn =
thing and only generate more fodder for argument, ah, er, I mean great =
discussion. Thanks for all the input. I'll report back with results!

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com