Who invented ET

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 06:33:21 EST

Greetings,
   Not really intending to nit-pic-ric, but I got a few questions:

<<There are mentions that the Chinese knew the concept 3000 years ago>

   I have nothing to do but agree with that, (just because I've been told
this often....)

>>Aristoxenes gave the math concept in 400 BC (ca)<<

   It was my understanding that Aristoxenes promotoed a 12 notes scale
consisting of 10 equal steps and two larger ones.  If this is correct, I
don't think we should consider Aris to have been promoting what we are
pointing to as ET>>

<Vicenzo Galilei in 1581 for ET on the lute. (18/17 ratio)>
  Yes,  dang close to ET, but did he not admit to the slight compromise?

<<Mersenne gives very close monochord lengths for ET in 1635.>
   I read Jorgensen to state that Mersenne gave the definitive mathematical
ratios for ET.

<<James Broadwood writes how to tune it in 1811.>>
    I was not aware that Broadwood wrote "how" to tune it, just that his
factory was then using "ET",( but Hipkins and Ellis seem to offer a different
point of view>

<<Claude Montal tuning instructions of 1837>>
    Were not the Montal writings published in 1832?  (Not sure on this one
either)
Dang, the coffee cup is empty, it is 5:30,  and I gotta go begin a four
piano, one pinblock day,
Regards all,
Ed Foote RPT