removing the black mark on our trade

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 09:24:03 EST

Hot dang,  hot topic, hot everything except the weather.

   Ok,  I see by the responses that I wasn't too far out of the circle.  Blue
chalk seems to be a good try, but I will go looking for the Crayola stuff,
too.
   Now,  I just recently moved the air compressor into the basement, ran the
line up through the floor, bought a $50 air powered die grinder at Home Depot
and chucked an egg shaped wood rasp in the end of it.  This has done a faster
job of fitting this pinblock than anything I have tried before,(except an
electric router, which caused some nerve damage from the vibrations of
fitting a very large block, last summer).
   I begin by cutting a shallow channel along the middle of the pinblock
flange-face, so that I only see contact along the top and bottom edges of the
pinblock.  As I progress towards a closer and closer fit,(which goes rapidly
due to the two "strips" of contact being the only place I need to work),  I
begin to see contact in the center, where I had dug the channel.  Once I have
an unbroken line of contact on at least 2/3 of the face surface, I am done.
No more than a 1' gap  between contact points anywhere along the flange, and
no place where one of the three lines doens't touch.
    I use the grinder on the flange face, and use a small sander with 50 grit
belts on the top.  Once the block is in contact with approx 30% of its
surface, I go with just the sander, as it makes a larger contact area and the
fit seems to get close, quicker.
The grinder has virtually no vibration, it is very light, and  with a
flexible cord, quite handy to use.

Regards,
Ed Foote RPT