Was it something I said?

Fri, 05 Jan 2001 09:09:09 +0100

Farrell wrote:

> However, IMHO, shimming works great if the board is dried appropriately, and
> it looks so much better, especially on a wide crack!  :-)

Actually, I never really could understand this idea that the wood shim looks
better then the epoxy fill.  They certainly look different. But "better"
"worse" ??? nahhhh... thats a matter of taste to begin with. Epoxy actually can
look kinda neat if you mix with fine sawdust of wood... you can get these dark
fill lines... or very light ones... or even redish coloured ones if you like.

As far as how long either method holds.... I have heard at least a 100 times
from hundred different woodworkers how shimming will hold up just as well, only
to find that in all 100 instances... sooner or later... a new crack shows up
adjacent to one side of the shim. ...grin..ok so I am overdriving the point a
bit... but you get my meaning. In anycase I have never seen this same thing
happen to an epoxied crack.

Fact is only reason I can think of for useing shims is if you simply want wood
in the crack.... fix finished period no questions... otherwise epoxy wins hands
down ...

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.