Soundboard Repair, was: Was it something I said?

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 07:43:17 -0500

"I'll be checking crown and down bearing and the like as soon as I get =
the rest of the strings measured and removed and the plate out."

I can only assume the above is a lack of specificity in wording, but I =
highly recommend checking down bearing prior to plate removal! Just =
thought I would mention that, just in case!    :-)

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Greg Newell=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2001 11:51 PM
  Subject: Re: Was it something I said?

  Paul,=20
      Thank you for writing. I'm still reading and digesting all of the =
other posts but I thought I'd respond to yours right away. It is a =
grand, not an upright. I'll be checking crown and down bearing and the =
like as soon as I get the rest of the strings measured and removed and =
the plate out. Thanks again!=20
   =20
  Greg=20

  Paul wrote:=20

    This reply is directed to Greg Newell, but I deleted his original =
post......Why would you want to put a new sound board in an upright if =
the original board show good crown and can be reglued to ribs and case? =
Do you feel it necessary to repair cracks in the SB if they cause no =
problems? Do the bridges need replacing or just renotching? Can you get =
adequate down bearing with the original stuff? Generally, if an original =
SB and bridges etc. will yield good bearing and tone, I leave them alone =
and forget the cosmetics of the cracks. Rib and perimeter regluing is =
done as required. Down bearing and bridge condition is checked before =
and after the strings are removed. No one has been willing to pay me for =
 a new board assembly. Paul Chick=20

  --=20
  Greg Newell=20
  Greg's Piano Fort=E9=20