In Memoriam - Harold Rhodes

Charles Neuman cneuman@phy.duke.edu
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 09:39:40 -0500 (EST)

on 1/4/01 10:22 PM, Thomas Sheehan at t.sheehan@worldnet.att.net wrote:
> Maybe there aren't too many Rhodes pianos still being played, but the
> sampled sound of a Rhodes piano is present in many, many sample-playback
> synths and digital pianos. The Rhodes sound will be around for a long,
> long time.

Check out the Rhodes email list if you want opinions on Rhodes! The
concensus seems to be that the sampled Rhodes sounds are jokes at best,
and even offensive. There are rumors that a new Rhodes is in production,
or almost in production, although the reports are varied. Check out the
list archives (info below).

If you are interested in Rhodes, the best resource is the Rhodes Super
Site. It includes service manuals, info about models, technical info, etc.

   http://www.fenderrhodes.org/rhodes/supersite/

If you need parts, the best place is Major Key. They take a while to get
back to you sometimes, but they are considered the most knowledgable
people:

Julie Drake
Rhodescholar@hotmail.com
Major Key
2548 E. Fender Ave.
Unit #D
Fullerton, CA 92831 USA
tel: 714-870-7368
fax: 714-870-7158

Other parts places are listed on the Rhodes website. Info about the email
list is available on the website as well.

I was lucky to get a Rhodes in very good shape in the 80's, when people
were getting rid of them. Now the prices are going up, and many are in bad
shape. But there are lots of people around who are interested in restoring
them.

Charles Neuman
Plainview, NY