Pilgram's Progress, (was electric)

Sat, 6 Jan 2001 08:38:49 -0500

On Sat, 6 Jan 2001 06:24:39 EST A440A@AOL.COM writes:

>Am I the only one that wanted to specialize, even to the
> exclusion of the smallest, least costly pianos?
> Regards to all,
> Ed Foote RPT

Hi Ed -

Certainly nothing wrong with your approach from where I sit!  Follow your
bliss!

Where I prefer to 'draw the line', though, is not at the grand/spinet
distinction, but at the 'interested piano owner/uninterested piano
owner'.  I actually derive great pleasure from breathing life into
whatever piano people may have, when THEY are commited to keeping their
instrument healthy.

Of course, among other choices we get to make as self-employed
individuals, is to distinguish between interesting and un-interesting
customers themselves.  Sometimes the personality of the owner will far
outweigh any negative aspects of their instrument, in my way of thinking,
and the friendships that have been made over the years are priceless.

Your point that 25 years experience is vastly different than one year's
experience 25 times, is an excellent one, and charging according to our
experience and expertise is critical.    For me, though, it needs to be
weighed  with the pleasure derived in each instance.  Clearly, that is a
purely personal choice, and one that is difficult to place a value on.

Random thoughts....

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com