Was it something I said?

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Sat, 6 Jan 2001 17:59:24 -0500

Well, Terry, I guess I'll have to just 'fess up...

When I was shimming boards, (which I haven't done in a number of years,)  I
wasn't going the whole way through the board with the shim.  I had a tool
that I did a little grinding on that I think was formerly a supply house
tool, that would shave the wood out of the crack and open up a v-groove for
the shim to sit in.  I usually went about 3/4 of the way into the board,
attempting to get things as uniform as I could so that I could get a
reasonable glue joint.

I think if I were to shim boards today, I would be much more interested in a
Spurlock type setup.  I likely wouldn't be using old boards for shim stock.
(Hmmm, I don't know if you could laminate two soundboards together for shim
stock successfully or not...  haven't tried that one...)  Or, the other
possibility, using epoxy, seems to be something fairly simple, fast,
effective, cheap, and fairly quick.

Honestly, though, from the sounds of what some people will go through with
fixing these old boards, I have to wonder how practical it is fixing an old
board as opposed to just making and installing a new one.

Just thought I should 'fess up.

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA
btrout@desupernet.net