Bluthner 1916 action

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 6 Jan 2001 20:22:35 -0500

Hello Ola! I copied these regulating instructions for a Bluthner Patent =
Action from the web page of Barrie Heaton PGP (I think). I hope this =
helps. Good luck!  :-)   I love reading your posts. I can hear your =
Scandinavian accent!

The necessary operations must be carried out strictly in the following=20
order. The fitting of the BLUTHNER-action is based on a touch-depth of 9 =

mm and on a hammer-blow of 45 mm.

1. The hammer-flange screws should be tightened.
The hammer-heads must then be spaced exactly on the strings.

2. Setting-up. The jack must be so adjusted, by means of the carriage=20
which is screwed on to the key, that it drops quite easily under the=20
nose of the abstract. The guide-pin of the abstract must be straight and =

vertical

3. Let-off. The hammers should release 1,3 mm from the steel strings and =

half string thickness from the bass strings? The set-off screws for this =

adjustment are situated on the hammer rest rail.

4. Touch. Contrary to the ERARD action, the touch is made quite firm.=20
The key is depressed slowly on to the touch-baize, after which the=20
hammer should continue to rise 1 mm, till it releases, so that it checks =

only on striking the key strongly. (No after-touch).

5. Checks. The checks should be adjusted at a slightly greater angle=20
than on the ERARD action. The check point is 24 mm above the normal=20
hammer tail line.

6. Drop. The right-angled repetition spring which controls the drop=20
should have a thickness of 0,85 mm in treble, 0,95 mm in the middle=20
range and 1 mm in the bass; the guide pin of the abstract must move=20
easily in the bridge leathers so that the abstract drops of its own=20
weight. The repetition springs must move freely in the abstract felt=20
clips and by pressure of either side of the right-angle spring, the drop =

is controlled. The hammer head should release 3 mm from the steel=20
strings.

7, It is now necessary again to check the touch throughout.

8. The dampers should lift when the keys are half depressed.

9. The damper shade-rail must be adjusted in such a way that when=20
depressing the sharps, is very little play.

10. The coiled spring which is attached to the abstract should in the=20
normal position of the key not rest on the jack, but remain about 3 mm=20
from it. An even touch is of the greatest importance.

Bluthner-patented action

1. Hammer flange screw
2. Whippen
3. jack