Capstans

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 6 Jan 2001 20:30:37 -0500

> Watch yourself here (fixing/relocating capstans)...David might get all
over you for even implying
> use of his technique without being an installer.  Very shaky ground here.
> If figures have not been calculated by an authorized Precision TouchDesign
> agent, they can not be termed Stanwood.

I think I am correct to say that anything to do with weighing off hammers
and keys (front weights) and saying Precision TouchDesign
in the same sentence should/must indeed come from an authorized Precision
TouchDesign agent. However, anything to do with action geometry, such as
relocating capstans, is something that technicians have been doing for many
decades (at least some have anyway). I do not believe David Stanwood has any
patents covering action geometry, and specifically, capstan relocating. But
I have not read the text of his patents - but I think they only cover
weighing off/balancing strike weight, key front weight, and the
formulas/calculations required to get them.

Terry Farrell
Piano Tuning & Service
Tampa, Florida
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com