Capstans

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 00:37:55 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Delwin D Fandrich=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, January 07, 2001 10:04 PM
  Subject: Re: Capstans

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: "Greg Newell" <gnewell@ameritech.net>
  To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
  Sent: January 07, 2001 10:35 AM

  > Roger,
  >     Thank you for the clarification! I'm also curious as to why it =
is
  loose in
  > the first place. Did I hear that there are folks installing new =
capstans
  with an
  > arbor press? Will this not cause them to be loose. Kinda like =
driving in a
  screw
  > with a hammer, no? How is there any wood left for the capstan to =
thread in
  and
  > out for adjustment? Did I misunderstand ...... again?
  >
  > Greg

  No, it doesn't. There is not all that much difference in diameter =
between
  o/a diameter and the root diameter of the threads. If the pilot hole =
is
  drilled to the correct diameter, pressing the capstan home does less =
damage
  to the wood than turning them in does.

  Del

  I recently tried to regulate a brand-new Boston studio.  The capstans =
wouldn't stay regulated.  I'd regulate them, then after tuning, there'd =
be too much lost motion again.  The capstans were being pushed down into =
their holes even on a medium-hard blow, and no, I wasn't pounding the =
heck out of it.  The factory must've a) drilled the holes too large, or =
b) pressed, rather than turned them into their holes.  Or maybe the =
holes expanded due to the dry Colorado climate ?      --Dave Nereson, =
Denver