repair, repair needed

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Mon, 08 Jan 2001 11:52:15 -0500

This morning I received a post from a piano owner asking this advise:

 > >Jon,
 > >I had a guy rebuild my bass bridge on old ivers & pond.  The bass now
 > >sounds muddier than before.  Could it be because the epoxy left on top
 > >of the bridge is not allowing the string to contact the wood?  During the
 > >repair he tried to scrape away the epoxy so the string *would* ride
 > >on the wood, but the epoxy was too thick to cut through.  Thanks for
 > >any help/advice you can offer.

Muddier than before... I suggested it could possibly be loss of surface
contact,
dead strings, reverse twist, and lack of down bearing. It just occurred to me,
that depending on how much epoxy is on top, it could be too much down bearing.

Once the crack was filled, the wet epoxy should have been wiped away or at
least
trimmed down while the epoxy was partially cured and not wait for it to get
rock hard.

In any event,  I said that he needs to get someone else in there to
evaluate the
situation since the first guy obviously didn't know the consequences of his
actions
(didn't know what he was doing).  This will be a case of practical
experience learned
the hard way.     Making mistakes is bad for business.

Please e-mail privately (click on address below) for someone I could
recommend in the
St. Paul/Minneapolis MN area.

Regards,
Jon Page,   piano technician