My first pinblock

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 19:03:37 +1100

Newton and list,

Yesterday  Newton wrote:

>Pinblocks are not that mysterious, just tedious and detail
>oriented. . . . . . . . . . . . (a few steps later)
>
>Next drill two small (3-4/32") holes through the plate and
>into the old pinblock.  One in the bass and one in the
>treble.  These holes are your main orientation from this
>point on.  Carefully measure, after plate removal, the
>distance from the center of the holes to the rim and to the
>stretcher and write them down on the keybed. . . . . . . . . . . .

It is amazing how often technicians, who have never met, find
identical solutions to the same problem. I have been using Newton's
technique (which I had previously thought of as mine only) of
drilling datum holes through the plate and original pin block since
1990. And there I was thinking I had invented the wheel again when I
hadn't.

We replaced the pin block of our rebuilt Steinway D hire piano using
this technique. Check out a close up image of this piano, showing the
treble sections and the datum hole via the following link (the datum
hole is located between the center and right unison tuning pins of
note A#86);

http://www.overspianos.com.au/testa.html

How long have you been using the technique Newton? It's a useful
technique to ensure that the plate is replaced in its original
position. Often I am amazed at how sloppy factory procedures can be
when it comes to plate location. Mind you, it's not easy to repeat
plate positioning from one piano to another unless a reliable
procedure using datum holes is developed. We are presently
manufacturing a jig for positioning the plate and the bridges on our
225 production Piano. Our first piano was built using the 'suck it
and see' approach, armed with just a tape measure and a few
measurements taken off a CAD drawing. There's got to be a better way,
as I think we will discover shortly.

Ron Overs
--

Website:  http://www.overspianos.com.au