Teaching.

Thu, 11 Jan 2001 09:15:59 +0100

"Kevin E. Ramsey" wrote:

> I agree with Newton, first you have to have the basic knowledge of how to
> tune. You must be able to tune a pure unison so that it's pure at least at
> the third harmonic. You must be able to tune a piano totally to a fork, (at
> least well enough that you can demonstrate that you really do know what you
> are doing.) Maybe then you can take up an EDT to make your life easier. Only
> then will you know if the machine is giving you something that is correct
> for the piano that you are tuning.
>     What gives "machine" tuners a bad name, is when someone who doesn't know
> the above basics picks one up, and calls himself a "piano tuner". I
> acknowledge that an amateur, if he's using an Accu-tuner or better EDT, can
> make a piano sound OK. But he'll never really be able to make that same
> instrument sing if he (or she) doesn't have a clue as to what they're doing.

I find myself in near total aggreement with you Keith... I would like to clarify
my position on the use of ETD as a teaching aid with respect to developing
hammer technique. Grin... you guys know I am fairly skeptical to uncritical use
of these devices.... right ???... I just think that developing a few exercizes
that drill hammer technique alone could be a great asset in helping get to a
point where the aural training becomes really constructive.

But I would be the first to take every step to avoid letting the student rely on
the ETD for more then very specific training exercises.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.