rib glueing and panel compression

Thu, 11 Jan 2001 09:22:41 +0100

Ron Nossaman wrote:

> ,,,, and I'd sure hate to have to depend on and try to
> anticipate the effects of this in the design. We have all heard absolutely
> LUSCIOUS sounding pianos with compression crowned boards, and a lot of
> truly WRETCHED sounding ones as well, and that's pretty much a distillation
> of the campaign for rib crowning. Relative predictability and some design
> control of the final acoustic characteristics of the board, dependable
> longevity of the system, and some freedom from the dependence on the
> density and EMC reactivity of the panel are the benefits of rib crowning.
> With a decent design, the overall sound can be kept more toward the
> "luscious" end of the spectrum, and with a narrower statistical deviation.
> That's for me!
>
> Ron N

Ron.... just curious.... would it be correct to take the above paragraph to mean
that in some kind of random (btim unforseeable and unexplainable) manner a
compression soundboard can in some instances deliver a sound that surpasses that
one is capable of producing in the more controllable rib crowned method ??

If so... how do you explain this ??.. I mean what (kind of optimization ??) would
be able to account for this ?

just curious... sounds almost borderline mystic.... grin.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.