rib glueing and panel compression

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 07:08:55 -0600

>Ron.... just curious.... would it be correct to take the above paragraph to
>mean
>that in some kind of random (btim unforseeable and unexplainable) manner a
>compression soundboard can in some instances deliver a sound that surpasses
>that
>one is capable of producing in the more controllable rib crowned method ??

No, it wouldn't. It would be correct to take it to mean that a given (1
ea.) CC board may sound better than a given (1 ea.) RC board, but a
thousand RC boards will sound more nearly alike than a thousand CC boards.
We're into the land of personal preference here, but a well designed RC
board can sound as good as the best of the CC boards. In a thousand piano
run of each board type, the differences in sound between best ten and worst
ten of both types will almost certainly be less among the RC boards.

>If so... how do you explain this ??.. I mean what (kind of optimization ??)
>would
>be able to account for this ?

That's the whole point. The panel expansion in the CC board has a much
bigger effect on the final outcome than in a RC board. How can anyone
predict and guarantee the resulting crown and assembly impedance ranges
with a CC system?

>just curious... sounds almost borderline mystic.... grin.
>--
>Richard Brekne

Not mystic, just complicated. We're not dealing with absolutes here, just
basic mechanical principles and relative degrees of control and
predictability.

Ron N