Who needs piano technicians?

Carol Beigel carolrpt@hotmail.com
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 13:35:44 -0500

Where on the East Coast do your parent's live?  Steinway and Sons is so
desperate for field techs in New York city, that they take people off the
streets and train them.

Supposedly there are about 4,000 piano tuners (in the PTG)and figure for
everyone of us there is at least one duffer and about 23,000,000 pianos in
the country.  Not bad odds no matter how you figure it.

The best way to go about this is to visit your parents and see what is
available around there.  No matter where you land, joining the PTG and doing
work for a Piano Dealer will help get you started.  Universities and
colleges are often looking for technicians, and that would be a good place
to get more professional experience as well as benefits.  There are also
piano factories in Pennsylvania and Georgia.

No matter where, no matter what, you just don't take a 10-month course in
something and waltz onto Easy Street and be able to support a family.  You
really need experience to develop yours skills, and the bottom line is that
your ability to earn a living will depend on how skillfull you become. Most
of the people I actually know on this list have spent their entire careers
(at least 20 years or more) studying, researching and are constantly
improving their skills.

Good luck!

Carol Beigel, RPT
Greenbelt, Maryland