How to go adjusting that fly in the window...

Fri, 12 Jan 2001 18:07:12 -0600

Brian,

At 17:29 01/12/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>How's that for a topic line!
>//////
>Baldwin grands...  needed to adjust the jack in the window so that it would
>sit in the proper place under the knuckle, not too far front or back, that
>is...  you know, the little set screw on the front of the jack...
>////////
>Any little secrets anyone has up their sleeve? other than a large bottle of
>'happy pills'? <grin>
>
>Inquiring minds just had to ask...

If you have a larger Baldwin w/Renner action, like I just featured in my
"easy" quiz, you can always remove the let off rack, adjust the jack in the
window and replace the rack.  I don't, but you could always try and tell me
how easy it is. ;-}

For smaller/older baldwins actions, I like the Yamaha letoff tool. It's
skinny enough to get between the letoff dowels (from left OR right - rarely
both sides).

I find it's easiest to tilt the jack toward you to lessen angle between
adj. screw and tool.  You'll still have to do it by the Braille system, but
it can be done.  (Just did a "C" today...)

Conrad

Conrad Hoffsommer - Luther College, Decorah, IA
Ignorance doesn't kill you, but it will make you sweat a lot.-Haitian proverb