How to go adjusting that fly in the window...

Sat, 13 Jan 2001 10:16:02 +0100

Brian Trout wrote:

> How's that for a topic line!
>
> Seriously, I ran into this a couple of times within the last couple of
> weeks.
>
> Baldwin grands...  needed to adjust the jack in the window so that it would
> sit in the proper place under the knuckle, not too far front or back, that
> is...  you know, the little set screw on the front of the jack...
>
> On these little buggers, the hammer flange rail comes way down in front of
> the regulating screws, and it's a real pain trying to adjust these things.
> I was able to do it, but it wasn't all that easy.  I can imagine with some
> trepidation the process of setting the whole line of 88.

Hi Brian... you run into this... and that other bugger of a problem with these
screws (too little room in between capstans to get your tool in) from time to
time. The only thing I know about is to have as thin a neck as possible on your
tool, to press down the top of the repetition lever so the regulating screw is
as low as possible in relation to the hammer rail... and to be patient. I was
told once you could bend the spoon if there was one...but I dont know how good
an idea that is.

btw... as long as I mentioned that spoon... that always kinda bothered me...
why have a bendable spoon at the same time as a regulatable button ?? And if
that is a good idea why dont all grands have that ?

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.