Sat, 13 Jan 2001 10:00:16 +0100

"Howard S. Rosen" wrote:

> You say that Virgil is "probably talking about an average of multiple
> coincidences rather .........etc." Supposing he is. So what! How does 1, 2,
> 3, or 4  natural beats emerge as an average (assuming it does as you say).
> How can I learn to hear these natural beats? Do they occur on an F-A 3rd?
> How many are there for an F-A 3rd or a G-E 6th? Unless these questions can
> be answered with definitiveness and the same utter clarity, in a scientific
> manner, as one can explain 7 cps emerging from an F-A 3rd, then the notion
> of "natural beats" will continue to be vague and unusable.

Well said Howard. One can also ask the question, how is it these natural beats
within octaves always result in the same matched partials octave type ?

> If "natural
> beats" really exist (it doesn't really matter where they come from) how can
> I count them and use them to tune a piano?

That is the crux of the matter... what these precisely are.... and how to use
them. To be usefull it must be possible to clearly explain what they are and
illustrate just as clearly how to put them into practice.

> I really like to be precise in my endeavors
> and that's what techs have to be in order to do our jobs. Otherwise any Joe
> Blow musician can put a hammer on a pin and think Hmmm that 3rd sounds nice.
> Hmmm  that 6th sounds like a breezy summer day in the park. I like it. Hey
> ...what are those beats I hear. Are they "natural'? or are they the kind
> that come from coincidental partials that my tuner once mentioned?  I know
> these are facetious ideas but there is serious intent behind them.    That's
> my opinion. Tell me what you think?

Thats the weird thing here... and probably why we are in a disscussion about
this to begin with.. we are not dealing with any Joe Blow.. Virgil is very
highly respected by the tech community... Otherwise your concern is basically
valid.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.