The Littlest Firefighter:OT

Joe & Penny Goss imatunr@primenet.com
Sat, 13 Jan 2001 09:05:53 -0700

Thank you for the post. It is list related, with all the harsh words of =
the  ( hopefully ) past.
Joe Goss
imatunr@primenet.com
http://www.primenet.com/~imatunr/

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Kevin E. Ramsey=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, January 13, 2001 7:44 AM
  Subject: The Littlest Firefighter:OT

  I'm probably going to get flamed, but I thought some of you would like =
reading this:

  The 26-year-old mother stared down at her son who was dying of =
terminal leukemia. Although her heart was filled with sadness, she also =
had a strong feeling of determination. Like any parent she wanted her =
son to grow up and fulfill all his dreams. Now that was no longer =
possible. The leukemia would see to that. But she still wanted her son's =
dreams to come true. She took her son's hand and asked, "Billy, did you =
ever think about what you wanted to be once you grew up. Did you ever =
dream and wish what you would do with your life?" "Mommy, I always =
wanted to be a fireman when I grew up." Mom smiled back and said, "Let's =
see if we can make your wish come true."=20
  Later that day she went to her local fire department in Phoenix, =
Arizona, where she met Fireman Bob, who had a heart as big as Phoenix. =
She explained her son's final wish and asked if it might be possible to =
give her six-year-old son a ride around the block on a fire engine. =
Fireman Bob said, "Look, we can do better than that. If you'll have your =
son ready at seven o'clock Wednesday morning, we'll make him an honorary =
fireman for the whole day. He can come down to the fire station, eat =
with us, go out on all the fire calls, the whole nine yards! And if =
you'll give us his sizes, we'll get a real fire uniform for him, with a =
real hat-not a toy one-with the emblem of the Phoenix Fire Department on =
it, a yellow slicker like we wear and rubber boots. They're all =
manufactured right here in Phoenix, so we can get them fast." Three days =
later, Fireman Bob picked up Billy, dressed him in his fire uniform and =
escorted him from his hospital bed to the waiting hook and ladder truck. =
Billy got to sit on the back of the truck and help steer it back to the =
fire station. He was in Heaven. There were three fire calls in Phoenix =
that day and Billy got to go out on all three calls. He rode in the =
different fire engines, the paramedic's van and even the fire chief's =
car. He was also video taped for the local news program. Having his =
dream come true, with all the love and attention that was lavished upon =
him, so deeply touched Billy that he lived three months longer than any =
doctor thought possible. One night all of his vital signs began to drop =
dramatically and the head nurse, who believed in the Hospice concept =
that no one should die alone, began to call the family members to the =
hospital. Then she remembered the day Billy had spent as a fireman, so =
she called the fire chief and asked if it would be possible to send a =
fireman in uniform to the hospital to be with Billy as he made his =
transition. The chief replied, "We can do better than that We'll be =
there in five minutes. Will you please do me a favor? When you hear the =
sirens screaming and see the lights flashing, will you announce over the =
PA system that there is not a fire? It's just the fire department coming =
to see one of it's finest members one more time. And will you open the =
window to his room?.....Thanks." About five minutes later, a hook an =
ladder truck arrived at the hospital, extended its ladder up to Billy's =
third floor open window and 16 firefighters climbed up the ladder into =
Billy's room. With his mother's permission, they hugged him and held him =
and told him how much they loved him. With his dying breath, Billy =
looked up at the fire chief and said, "Chief, am I really a fireman =
now?" "Billy, you are." the chief said. With those words, Billy smiled =
and closed his eyes one last time. Many people will walk in and out of =
your life, but only true friends will leave footprints in your heart. To =
handle yourself, use your head; To handle others, use your heart. Anger =
is only one letter short of danger. Great minds discuss ideas; Average =
minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people He who loses money, =
loses much; He who loses a friend, loses much more; He who loses faith, =
loses all. Friends, you and me.. You brought another friend... and then =
there were three... We started our group... Our circle of friends... And =
like that circle... There is no beginning or end. Yesterday is history. =
Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. Send this to everyone you =
consider FRIEND.   =

  Kevin E. Ramsey, R.P.T.
  ramsey@extremezone.com=20