How to go adjusting that fly in the window...

BobDavis88@AOL.COM BobDavis88@AOL.COM
Sat, 13 Jan 2001 22:28:22 EST

In a message dated 01/12/2001 4:15:24 PM Pacific Standard Time,
hoffsoco@martin.luther.edu writes:

> You'll still have to do it by the Braille system, but
>  it can be done.

It's too hard to see through the regulating buttons, so I like to do it from
overhead. In the shop, I plop the action onto two sawhorses. I stand at the
rear of the action, looking down. I am right-handed, so I stand facing the
treble, and reach over to adjust with my right hand. With my left, I depress
the adjacent repetition lever so I can see how the jack relates to the
knuckle on the one I am adjusting. I can easily see the (thin) tool engage
the jack. It goes easily. Usually when I have finished a section, I rest my
left hand lightly on the hammers, and push the keys with my right (with the
tool still in my hand, held out of the way). This makes sure none of the
jacks cheat.

Elsewhere, I either use a low table, or turn the action around in the keybed
and do the same thing, although in the keybed I turn it back around, resting
the center rail on the keybed and the front rail on my knee, to check for
cheating.

Bob Davis