Piano Warrenty/False Beats

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sun, 14 Jan 2001 23:33:13 -0600

>Maybe Boston or Steinway or whoever wouldn't pay for the bridge recapping
>for "false beats".  But would they for "loose bridge pins"?  I wouldn't
>think even Steinway would have the ball bearings to say loose bridge pins
>are a 'design feature'. <grin>

Warranty recapping for false beats? NEVER! Pay for fixing loose bridge
pins? "And just what makes you think the bridge pins are loose?" "Can't you
voice it away?" "In one of OUR pianos?" I've only dealt with Boston through
dealers, but I would strongly expect Steinway to just deny that it's a
problem and imply that a real tech wouldn't be calling with such nonsense,
since yours is the only such complaint they've gotten in the last 75 years.
It would certainly be worth a try to call, and protocol demands notifying
them anyway, but I'd suggest softening the owner up for paying the tab
himself. This kind of stuff is always a climate control problem for
manufacturers.

Jim's got it cold.

Ron N